The School of Graduate Studies requires graduate units to monitor the progress of PhD students. PhD students are therefore required to hold at least one supervisory committee meeting in each year of program registration. For years one and two of the PhD program, this SGS requirement is met by the qualifying examination and the thesis proposal, respectively.
- In years three, four, and all subsequent years until graduation, each PhD candidate must establish a PhD supervisory committee and meet with that committee at least once per year.
- The PhD supervisory committee will typically consist of the research supervisor and two other professors.
- The PhD supervisory committee will assess the candidate’s progress to degree and file a Progress Report with the ECE Graduate Office after each meeting.
- Annual meetings with the PhD supervisory committee are a condition of financial support and continued registration in the PhD program.
- Please see timely completion for recommended scheduling of meetings.