Konstantinos (Kostas) N. Plataniotis received his B. Eng. degree in Computer Engineering from University of Patras, Greece and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Florida Institute of Technology Melbourne, Florida. Dr. Plataniotis is currently a Professor with The Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Toronto in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where he directs the Multimedia Laboratory. He holds the Bell Canada Endowed Chair in Multimedia since 2014. His research interests are primarily in the areas of image/signal processing, machine learning and adaptive learning systems, visual data analysis, multimedia and knowledge media, and affective computing. Dr. Plataniotis is a Fellow of IEEE, Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and registered professional engineer in Ontario.
Dr. Plataniotis has served as the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Signal Processing Letters. He was the Technical Co-Chair of the IEEE 2013 International Conference in Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, and he served as the inaugural IEEE Signal Processing Society Vice President for Membership (2014 -2016) and General Co-Chair for the 2017 IEEE GLOBALSIP. He serves as the 2018 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2018) and the 2021 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2021) General Co-Chair.
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada
- 2005 IEEE Canada Outstanding Engineering Educator Award (for contributions to engineering education and inspirational guidance of graduate students)
- 2006 IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks Outstanding Paper Award
- 2008 Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation Most Cited Paper Award
- 2018 Premium Award Winner – Best Paper Award IET Biometrics