Shahrokh Valaee received the BSc and MSc degrees from the University of Tehran, and the PhD degree from McGill University, Canada, all in Electrical Engineering. From 1994 to 1995, he was a Research Associate at INRS Telecommunications, University of Quebec, Montreal, Canada. From 1996 to 2001, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran, and in the Department of Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran. Since September 2001, he has been with the Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, where he is a Professor and the Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies. He is the Founder and the Director of the Wireless and Internet Research Laboratory (WIRLab) at the University of Toronto.
Professor Valaee was the Co-Chair for Wireless Communications Symposium of IEEE GLOBECOM 2006, the Editor for IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine Special Issue on Toward Seamless Internetworking of Wireless LAN and Cellular Networks, and the Editor of a Special Issue of the Wiley Journal on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing on Radio Linkand Transport Protocol Engineering for Future Generation Wireless Mobile Data Networks. He was the TPC Co-Chair and the Local Organization Chair of IEEE Personal Mobile Indoor Radio Communication (PIMRC) Symposium 2011. His current research interests are in wireless vehicular and sensor networks, location estimation and cellular networks.
- Editor, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications
- Associate Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Letters
- Connaught Award, 2012 and 2013
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Award, 2010
- MaRS Innovations cPOP Award, 2012
- Plenary and Keynote Invited Speeches at several IEEE and CSI conferences
- Distinguished Seminar Series speaker at various institutions
- Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario
- Honorary member of The Canadian Society of Iranian Engineers and Architects
- Technical Program Committee membership of more than 70 conferences
- IEEE, ACM