Costas Sarris received the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering and M.Sc. degree in applied mathematics from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and the Diploma (with distinction) in electrical engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece. He is currently a Professor and the Eugene V. Polistuk Chair in Electromagnetic Design in the Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto. His research interests are in the area of computational electromagnetics, with emphasis on high-order, multiscale/multiphysics numerical methods, modeling and optimization under stochastic uncertainty and parametric modeling and machine learning for electromagnetic problems. This work is driven by wireless communication, sensing and biomedical applications: radiowave propagation modeling in indoor, urban and terrestrial environments, capacitive sensing and imaging, wireless power transfer and biomedical hyperthermia.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Journal on Multiscale and Multiphysics Computational Techniques (IEEE JMMCT), January 2019 –
- 2013 IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S) Outstanding Young Engineer Award.
- Early Researcher Award, Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation, 2007.
- Paper awards at the IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium in 2001, 2008, at the IEEE AP-S Int. Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (2008, 2009, 2016, 2018), 2015 IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference and the Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (2008).
- Gordon R. Slemon (teaching of design) award, 2008.
- Teaching Awards, ECE Department, University of Toronto (2006, 2016).
- Chair of IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S) Technical Committee on Microwave Field Theory (MTT-15).
- Associate Editor, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MICROWAVE THEORY AND TECHNIQUES (2009-2012).
- Associate Editor, IEEE MICROWAVE AND WIRELESS COMPONENTS LETTERS (2007-2009).
- Area Editor (Numerical Modeling), IEEE MICROWAVE MAGAZINE (2010-2011) and Guest Editor of Special Issue on Time-Domain Methods (April 2009).
- Technical Program Committee co-Chair and Chair, IEEE AP-S Int. Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 2010, 2015.
- Technical Program Committee Vice-Chair, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium, 2012.