Hoi-Kwong Lo received his B.A. in Mathematics from Cambridge University in 1989 and his M. S. and Ph. D. in Physics from Caltech in 1991 and 1994 respectively. From 1994 to 1996, he was a Member of the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton. In 1996, he joined Hewlett-Packard Labs, Bristol, UK as a postdoctoral fellow. In 1997, he became a Senior Member of Technical Staff there. In 1999, he became the Chief Scientist and Senior Vice President of MagiQ Technologies, Inc., New York. In 2003, he joined the University of Toronto as an Associate Professor, in both the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Department of Physics. He became a Full Professor there in 2009. He is a Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.
- 2010 Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR)
- 2003-now: Canada Research Chair
- 2007 NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement Award
- 2006-07 Visiting Professorship, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
- 2005-2009 Scholar of Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR)
- 2003 Co-winner, Outstanding Young Researcher Award (OYRA) by Overseas Chinese Physics Association (OCPA) (for outstanding young ethnic Chinese physicists of any place of birth and currently working anywhere outside Asia)
- 2003 PREA (Premier’s Research Excellence Award)