Baochun Li received his B.Engr. degree from the Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University, China, in 1995 and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, in 1997 and 2000.
Since 2000, he has been with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Toronto, where he is currently a Professor. He holds the Nortel Networks Junior Chair in Network Architecture and Services from October 2003 to June 2005, and the Bell Canada Endowed Chair in Computer Engineering since August 2005. His research interests include cloud computing, large-scale data processing, datacenter networking, and coding for distributed storage systems.
Dr. Li has co-authored more than 300 research papers, with a total of over 15000 citations, an H-index of 73 and an i10-index of 220, according to Google Scholar Citations. He was the recipient of the IEEE Communications Society Leonard G. Abraham Award in the Field of Communications Systems in 2000. In 2009, he was a recipient of the Multimedia Communications Best Paper Award from the IEEE Communications Society, and a recipient of the University of Toronto McLean Award. He is a member of ACM and a Fellow of IEEE.
- IEEE Fellow, class of 2015, for contributions to application-layer network protocols and network coding
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Globecom 2011, Wireless Networking Symposium, IEEE Communications Society, 2011
- Multimedia Communications Best Paper Award, the Multimedia Communications Technical Committee, IEEE Communications Society, 2009
- Distinguished Educator Award, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplements Award, 2011
- Departmental Teaching Award, ECE, University of Toronto, 2010
- McLean Award, University of Toronto, 2009
- The University of Toronto TechKnowFile Award, 2007
- ECE Departmental Service Award, 2006
- Best Student Paper Award, the Thirteenth International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2005
- Bell Canada Endowed Chair in Computer Engineering, 2005
- Nortel Networks Junior Chair in Network Architecture and Services, 2003
- Leonard G. Abraham Prize Paper Award in the Field of Communications Systems, IEEE Communications Society, 2000
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999