NSERC CGS, Vanier CGS, OGS, QEII-GSST, and Bell Graduate Scholarship
NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) Master’s-level
- Eligibility requirements and application procedures for the CGS-M are available on the NSERC website.
- Original official paper transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate studies attended must be scanned and uploaded by the applicant in the appropriate section of the application (including the University of Toronto, even if you are new to U of T as of September 2020). For details refer to the “Transcripts (Attachment)” section of the instructions.
- The Research Portal will instruct CGS-M applicants to select up to three universities where they wish to hold the award. [If you are applying to hold the CGS-M in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, please select “University of Toronto, Electrical and Computer Engineering” as one of your graduate units.]
CGS-M applications, including the CCV, referee reports and transcripts, must be submitted to the Research Portal by 8:00 p.m. (ET) on December 1, 2020.
If you are currently an undergraduate student applying to hold the CGS-M in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, you must also submit your application for admission to the M.A.Sc. program to the ECE WEB SYSTEM by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on December 1.
Each graduate unit will review and rank CGS-M applications and forward applications, within an assigned quota, to their graduate school for final competition. Selection committees established in the graduate schools will review forwarded applications and select applicants for award.
Each Canadian university will be assigned an allocation of CGS-M scholarships representing the number of scholarships that it may award on behalf of NSERC.
The graduate school at each university is responsible for communicating the results of the competition to the applicants. The results will be announced and offers of award made via the Research Portal in the first week of April 2021.
Applicants will have three weeks to Accept or Decline offers. An applicant may accept only one CGS-M offer. If the applicant accepts an offer, (s)he will be deemed to have declined any other pending offers (if applicable), and will not be eligible to receive further offers.
Applicants are not eligible to receive or accept a CGS-M from a graduate unit not listed in their CGS-M application, nor are applicants eligible to receive or accept a CGS-M from a university where they did not apply for admission to an eligible program of study.
NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) Doctoral-level
- Eligibility requirements and application procedures for the CGS-D are available on the NSERC website.
CGS-D applications must be ready for submission on the NSERC on-line system by September 23, 2020.
- Please note that you will not be able to submit your application until after the Graduate Office has uploaded your transcripts. When your transcripts have been uploaded (on or after September 23), the Graduate Office will email you with a request to submit your application.
- Select “University of Toronto, Electrical and Computer Engineering” as your graduate unit.
Designate “Darlene Gorzo” firstname.lastname@example.org as the person responsible for uploading transcripts to the NSERC website.
Submit one set of original official paper transcripts to the ECE Graduate Office by September 23. Provide transcripts for all university and college programs and courses attended, including the University of Toronto (even if you are new to U of T as of September 2020).
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS)
- Eligibility requirements and application procedures for the Vanier CGS are available on the Vanier website.
- Applications for the Vanier CGS must be submitted on-line via the ResearchNet system by 9:00 a.m. ET on September 16, 2020.
- Submit one set of original official paper transcripts to the ECE Graduate Office by 9:00 a.m. ET on September 16. Please provide transcripts for all university and college programs and courses attended, including the University of Toronto (even if you are new to U of T as of September 2020).
- Please note that the Vanier Scholarship is extremely competitive. ECE may forward only two applications to SGS for University-level competition. The University of Toronto may forward fewer than 20 applications to Ottawa for the final national competition. It is recommended that only students with the strongest A+ academic record apply for this award.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
- Please review eligibility requirements and application procedures for OGS prior to commencing your application.
- The OGS application must be submitted online.
- Please note the deadlines to submit an OGS application:
- for international students, by 9:00 a.m. on February 1, 2021
- for domestic students by 9:00 a.m. on April 19, 2021.
- Students should apply to either the international or domestic competition based on their legal status as of February 1, 2021.
- To complete the online application, students must upload photocopies of original official paper transcripts for all university and college programs and courses attended. ACORN printouts will be accepted in place of University of Toronto transcripts.
- OGS results will be announced in July 2021, after the release of the NSERC PGS/CGS results.
- Students who receive notice of a successful NSERC PGS/CGS application for 2021-22 should not apply for OGS in the 2021-22 competition.
- Students who wish to be considered for the Bell Graduate Scholarship or the QEII Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST) must apply for OGS.
Bell Graduate Scholarship, Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST)
- Eligibility for the Bell Graduate Scholarship and the QEII-GSST is restricted to domestic research-stream students within their period of guaranteed funding (i.e., M.A.Sc. years 1 and 2; Ph.D. years 1 through 4).
- Students must apply for the OGS in order to be considered for the Bell Graduate Scholarship or the QEII-GSST. A separate application will NOT be required for these scholarships. Students may be awarded the Bell Graduate Scholarship or the QEII-GSST on the basis of their ranking in the OGS competition.
- Competition results will be announced in July 2021.