The academic year is comprised of three sessions: Fall, Winter, and Summer. The Fall Session runs from September through December; the Winter Session from January through April; and the Summer Session from May through August. The University closes for approximately two weeks, between the Fall and Winter Sessions, for the Winter Break.
- 2018 Fall Session start: Tuesday, September 4, 2018
- 2018-19 Winter Break closure: Saturday, December 22, 2018 to Sunday, January 6, 2019
- 2019 Winter Session start: Monday, January 7, 2019
ECE does not offer any graduate courses during the Summer Session, nor is JDE1000H “Ethics in Research” offered during the Summer Session. M.Eng. students often take non-technical courses in the Summer Session.
In addition to the Winter Break closure, the University will be closed for the following holidays over the 2018-19 academic year:
- Labour Day (Monday, September 3, 2018)
- Thanksgiving Day (Monday, October 8, 2018)
- Family Day (Monday, February 18, 2019)
- Good Friday (Friday, April 19, 2019)
- Victoria Day (Monday, May 20, 2019)
- Canada Day (Monday, July 1, 2019)
- Civic Holiday (Monday, August 5, 2019)