The background requirement is intended to ensure that students have sufficient education in the various fields in electrical and computer engineering to pursue the Ph.D. program. Normally, this requirement will be satisfied by courses completed during the undergraduate program. A Ph.D. student with a non-ECE undergraduate degree may be required to complete additional courses to satisfy the background requirement.
- In order to demonstrate background and preparation, each Ph.D. student is required to complete a Ph.D. Background Statement.
- Please note the relevant deadlines for submission of the Ph.D. background statement to the ECE Graduate Office:
- September starters must submit the Ph.D. background statement to the ECE Graduate Office by the end of November.
- January starters must submit the Ph.D. background statement to the ECE Graduate Office by the end of March.
- The chair and graduate coordinator will review the Ph.D. background statements for all students in their group.
- Based on the information contained in your Ph.D. background statement, the chair and graduate coordinator may recommend that you complete additional courses in order to achieve sufficient background.
- The Ph.D. background statement will form an important part of your Ph.D. qualifying examination file.