Protocols for Accessing ECE Spaces during COVID

Before coming on campus, you must provide proof of vaccination and complete a daily self-assessment on UCheck.

For access to any indoor space while on campus, you must wear a mask, following the University’s Policy on Face Masks. See the Joint Provostial and Human Resources Guideline on Face Masks for more information.

Below are policies and procedures for different types of spaces in ECE. More information regarding the reopening of research spaces, administrative areas, offices and more can be found in the ECE Welcome Back Package (PDF).

Professors’ offices

Faculty members can access their offices any time.

Faculty members can meet people in their offices, as long as:

  • They keep appropriate PPE (hand sanitizers or sanitizing wipes) in the office
  • All parties wear a mask
  • They maintain a physical distance of 2 metres or more
  • They record contact information for any meeting longer than 10 minutes, for contact tracing purposes. Contact information includes the meeting date and time, participants and their e-mail and phone. Tip: Use your meeting calendar, which already has many of these details recorded

Non-research spaces

A non-research space is a designated space for MASc and PhD grad students and research staff, including postdocs, Research Associates, etc., to work. It is not a classroom or lab.

PIs can arrange access to a non-research space or office for MASc and PhD grad students and research staff, including postdocs, Research Associates, etc. (See note below for MEng students.)

PIs request access for their group members by:

  1. Filling out the Supervisor Acknowledgement form (PDF)
  2. Collecting Research Personnel Acknowledgement forms (PDF) from all grad students. Note that research staff members are not required to fill out this form.
  3. Bundling all above forms and sending it as one single document to
  4. Implementing a process to track each member of their research group’s on-site presence, including name, location (building and room number) and date. Tip: Share an Excel sheet among your group members and remind them to fill it out each time they come to campus
  5. Providing necessary cleaning supplies, at members’ requests, for daily disinfection of the spaces

MEng students: Currently, there is no designated space for MEng Students. They are welcome to find study space campus-wide in real time by using the St George Campus Online Synchronous Space Finder (web or app). In addition, they can use public spaces, such as libraries, on campus.

Using non-research spaces

Non-research spaces are assigned to graduate students and research staff on the basis of odd/even calendar days. To find out whether a desk is designated for use on an odd or even calendar day, please see this Research Desks Grouping (PDF):

If a graduate student needs to come to campus on days they do not have an assigned desk — for meetings or to perform TA duties, for example — they may:

  • Use others’ desks temporarily under two conditions:
    • If the desks are not in use by the “owners”
    • If the shared usage is mutually agreed upon
  • Access any conference table within their office area as long as they maintain a physical distancing of 2 metres or more
  • Find study space campus-wide in real time by using the St George Campus Online Synchronous Space Finder (web or app)

Within each space, students and staff:

  • Must disinfect, at the end of the day, any of the spaces they occupied (i.e., wipe down the chair and desk surfaces)

Research spaces

PIs request access to research spaces for their group members by following the Request to Access On-campus Research (RAOR) procedure (faculty-access link only), which is overseen by the Faculty.

To determine whether your space is designated either research or non-research, please consult the listing in Research Desks Grouping (PDF).

Meeting/conference rooms

Meeting rooms that are under the control of the Dean’s Office will be available for use commencing December 1, 2021.

Meetings — including research team meetings and one-on-one meetings between supervisors and grad students/postdocs/employees — are encouraged to be held virtually; however, in-person small group meetings can take place with all applicable protective measures: physical distancing, masks, sign-up calendars, access controlled, collection of contact tracing information, UCheck, GATs, etc.

We have reduced the regular occupancy capacity of the meeting rooms to align with current public health/provincial directives and have added a few other requirements that are necessary when booking space. Please ensure that when planning, reserving and using the meeting room that your use does not exceed the COVID-19 maximum capacity as noted in the RRSLite information. No block-booking of meeting rooms is permitted at this time.

The use of one or more meeting rooms may be rescinded and bookings cancelled without notice due to COVID-19 control measures. In such cases, it is the responsibility of the meeting organizer to make alternate arrangements for the meeting, e.g., booking another available meeting room or cancelling the meeting.

Note the following references:

  1. The approved General Assessment Tool (GAT) (docx) which sets out the COVID-19 controls, strategies and precautions that are applicable for re-entering and resuming use of the meeting rooms identified in the GAT
  2. ECE Meeting Room Protocol (PDF)
  3. ECE meeting room request form (PDF) (or docx), which needs to be completed and then sent to Chris Balarajah for approval

Where use of a meeting room is part of an organized event — notwithstanding the approved GAT for meeting rooms — there may be a corresponding requirement for the event organizer to complete and seek approval of an Event Assessment Tool (EAT) or Student Society Event Assessment Tool (SEAT).

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Chris Balarajah anytime regarding the booking and use of these meeting rooms. The faculty has also opened up meeting rooms; please contact Bianca Nagy to book faculty meeting rooms.



Everyone in the classroom must have completed UCheck before stepping onto campus (instructor, undergraduate students, attending TAs, etc.) Instructors and lab TAs may conduct a class-wide verification of UCheck at their discretion.

Note: Non-students are not permitted to audit, and therefore no one in the room will need to use a paper-based assessment.


All attendants, including the instructor, must follow the University’s Policy on Face Masks.

The Guideline on Face Masks does note, under “Exceptions,” situations for the temporary removal of masks. Refer to the Guideline for full details.

Physical distancing

Physical distancing is not enforced in classrooms.

Effective September 7, 2021, physical distancing and capacity limit requirements are no longer in effect for indoor instructional spaces (such as classrooms, teaching laboratories, in-person experiential learning, etc.) at post-secondary education institutions.



©2021 Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering