June 17, 2019
Four faculty members from The Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) were recently named new or renewed Canada Research Chairs (CRCs).
They are among 56 U of T faculty members awarded CRCs in a fall-spring cohort announcement on June 14 by the federal government. Established in 2000, the federal program invests $295 million annually to recruit and retain top minds in Canada. It supports research in engineering, natural sciences, health sciences, humanities and social sciences.
The University’s total allotment of research chairs in the CRC program is the largest in the country.
“I want to extend my warmest congratulations to U of T’s new and renewed research chairs,” said Vivek Goel, U of T’s vice-president of research and innovation. “The work supported by the Canada Research Chairs Program benefits all Canadians by advancing our shared knowledge and fostering innovation.”
Professor Enright Jerger’s research is in the area of computer architecture with a focus on multi- and many- core architectures, on-chip networks, cache coherence protocols, memory systems and approximate computing.
Professor Ding Yuan’s research is in the general area of software systems with an emphasis on reliability and performance in large system-level software.
They were among nine new and renewed research chairs at U of T Engineering with a focus on a wide range of areas, from clean energy to artificial intelligence (AI).
“From advanced manufacturing to sustainable energy, our Canada Research Chairs are addressing global challenges and developing entirely new technologies, products and industries,” said Ramin Farnood, Vice-Dean, Research at U of T Engineering. “On behalf of the Faculty, I offer them all my warmest congratulations.”
The full list of new and renewed U of T Engineering CRCs is:
- Aimy Bazylak (MIE), Canada Research Chair in Thermofluidics for Clean Energy (renewed)
- Timothy Chan (MIE), Canada Research Chair in Novel Optimization and Analytics in Health (renewed)
- Natalie Enright Jerger (ECE), Canada Research Chair in Computer Architecture
- Brendan Frey (ECE), Canada Research Chair in Biological Computation (renewed)
- Michael Garton (IBBME), Canada Research Chair in Synthetic Biology (new)
- Jonathan Kelly (UTIAS), Canada Research Chair in Collaborative Robotics (new)
- Goldie Nejat (MIE), Canada Research Chair in Robots for Society (renewed)
- Ding Yuan (ECE), Canada Research Chair in Systems Software (new)
- Wei Yu (ECE), Canada Research Chair in Information Theory and Wireless Communications (renewed)
Senior Communications Officer
The Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering