Prior to commencing an application, applicants should carefully review all of the information in the Graduate Studies Admission section of the ECE website.
In order to complete the application, applicants must navigate two web systems: the SGS Web System and the ECE WEB SYSTEM. ECE is unable to consider any applicant who does not complete their applications on both web systems.
Important Notice: Upon submission of the application to the ECE WEB SYSTEM, a message will be automatically e-mailed to the designated referees. The message contains a URL and password, which the referees will require in order to upload their comments to the ECE WEB SYSTEM. Please note that some servers have been blocking these automated messages. It is therefore recommended that applicants contact their referees to ensure they have received the message. If one or both referees have not received the message, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit an applicant profile on the SGS Web System.
- The SGS Web System will prompt the applicant to pay the $120.00 CAD application fee. Applications will not be processed until the application fee is received.
- Applicants do not submit referee information on the SGS Web System.
- Submit a detailed application on the ECE WEB SYSTEM.
- IMPORTANT: the ECE WEB SYSTEM will email an applicant’s referees to request references only after the applicant has submitted their application. As an application is not complete until both references have been submitted, it is highly recommended that applicants (1) submit their applications well in advance of the deadline and (2) confirm that their references have been submitted by logging on to the ECE WEB SYSTEM – the application status will read “received” when the application is complete including two references.
- Applicants who are required to provide proof of English language proficiency and have completed the TOEFL, IELTS or COPE must arrange for their test score to be reported electronically to the University of Toronto (Enrolment Services) by the testing agency. Paper scores will not be accepted.
- The TOEFL institution code for U of T is 0982. There is no need to specify a department.
- Send the following materials in hard copy to the ECE Graduate Office:
- A printout of the Application Summary from the SGS Web System
- If applicable, a photocopy or webpage printout of the applicant’s English proficiency score report
- All official hard copy transcripts (U of T transcripts are not required in hard copy)
- Important notes:
- Hard copy documents should be mailed (but do not need to be received) by the application deadline.
- If possible, all documents should be accompanied by the Application Mailing Sheet (printable from the SGS Web System).
- Please do not send any additional documents; additional documents will not be reviewed.
- All documents should be sent to:
Attn: Graduate Admissions
ECE Graduate Office
Room 1107, 10 King’s College Road
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON M5S 3G4
Review of M.A.Sc. and Ph.D. applications will commence January 8, 2020. Review of M.Eng. applications will commence March 17, 2020.
- Applicants will be notified immediately, via e-mail, concerning any change to the status of their application, such as an invitation for interview, offer of admission, or notice of unsuccessful application. Interim updates will not be provided.
- Some applications take significantly longer than others to review; as application results are released to applicants as soon as they become available, not all applicants will receive their results at the same time.
- ECE will endeavour to inform all applicants concerning the outcome of their application by June 30, 2020.
- Applicants should use only the ECE WEB SYSTEM to monitor the status of their application – the status will read “received” when the application is complete including two references. Do not use the SGS Web System to monitor application status.
- The application status on the ECE WEB SYSTEM will typically continue to read “received” while the application is under review; for many applicants the application status will continue to read “received” until an admission decision has been made.
- Unfortunately, due to the volume of materials received, the ECE Graduate Office is unable to confirm receipt of transcripts, English proficiency scores or other documents. Please rest assured that we will notify applicants if documents are missing from their file.
- Please note that we do not update the SGS Web System – as such, applicants should not be concerned if the SGS Web System indicates that their documents have not been received.
- Applications will be assessed based on the information included at the time of submission. After submission a comment can be added to an ECE WEB SYSTEM application, however, if the application has already been reviewed the comment will not be taken into consideration.
- To add a comment, applicants should log on to the ECE WEB SYSTEM and use the “Add comments after submission” option in “My Tasks”.
- Adding a comment is not a means to communicate with the ECE Graduate Office – if an applicant has a question they should review the Admissions FAQ or contact the ECE Graduate Office directly.