Visitor Information

Visa and Employment Authorization

Sandford Fleming Building.

Sandford Fleming Building

Visa – Citizenship and Immigration Canada has many resources including Visitor Services, which outlines regulations for entering Canada from various countries, and whether a visa is required.

Employment Authorization – For those expecting to be paid from Canadian sources while working in Canada, an Employment Authorization, must be obtained before you arrive if you want to work temporarily in Canada.

Visitor Guides – Also at Citizenship and Immigration Canada, “Welcome to Canada” has informative publications. Visit The University of Toronto’s Visitor Centre for information.

Aerial view of University College

Aerial view of University College

Guides and Maps

Knox College on St. George Street.

Knox College on St. George Avenue.

Settling in Toronto


The Student Life website includes lots of useful information. Follow the links to “Summer Residence” for U of T residence accommodation links; residences may be booked by visitors for stays from approximately May 10 – August 15. The Student Housing Service also has much information NOT available on their website. Go in person to the Koffler Student Services Centre, 214 College Street, Room 203, and pick up the lists “Temporary Accommodation” and “Other Housing Resources Available on the Web.” The Faculty Relocation site includes information on accommodation, which covers renting a home (including links to rental classifieds online and in Toronto newspapers), tenant rights, realtors, utilities (heat, hydro, phone and cable). Housing information for visiting faculty can be found on the Faculty Housing website.

Hotels in the area may be found through commercial websites, or Show Me Toronto

Social Insurance Number and Banking

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) – Apply as soon as possible after your arrival. You will need this to open a bank account and to allow the U of T to pay you.
  • Banking – Open a local bank account as soon as you have a found a place to live. You will need to bring two pieces of identification (one with photo), your Social Insurance Number, a copy of your letter of invitation from the professor, your home address and telephone number. If you are to be paid by U of T, ask the bank for some blank cheques; bring one to your supervisor’s Administrative Assistant.

There are several automated banking machines (ATMs) nearby, the closest being at the Koffler Student Services Centre, 214 College St., on the main floor just inside the St. George Street entrance.

Bahen Center for Information Technology.

Bahen Center for Information Technology.

Health Insurance/Services

Public transportation – The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) operates subways, streetcars, light rail trains and buses within the Greater Toronto Area. For regional trips, other transit organizations provide services. For complete information, consult the City of Toronto’s web page on public transit.

Driving in CanadaThe Government of Ontario website provides all information related to driving in Canada.

Food – The majority of restaurants in the vicinity of ECE Department are to the south along College, Spadina, and Baldwin. UeaT: Food on U of T campus.

Restaurants in Toronto – A ‘Dine Safe’ program allowed you to search restaurants for results of public health inspections. For restaurants by area, Show Me Toronto has a tour of different areas of the city, with lists of restaurants in each area.

Getting Settled at U of T

East side of Trinity College.

East side of Trinity College.

U of T Library Card – Colloquially known as the TCard, this is one of the most important pieces of equipment for navigating U of T. Take a letter signed by your supervisor to the Robarts Library (130 St. George Street), to the TCard office on the second floor.

Photocopying – With your supervisor’s permission you may use your supervisor’s machine, or, for large jobs, you may order copying from ECE Mail/Copying/Receiving office in basement room SFB540. Please note that charges are made to your supervisor’s research grant account. For personal copying, there are many copy shops along the south side of College Street between University and Spadina.

Mail/Courier – With your supervisor’s permission, you may mail or courier documents through the administrative assistant. Please note that charges for postage or courier are made to your supervisor’s research grant account. The administrative assistant will show you where received items may be picked up. Personal mail can be posted at the Canada Post office located in the U of T Bookstore, lower level, Koffler Student Services Building, 214 College St.

Fax – With your supervisor’s permission, and a code, you may send outgoing faxes on your supervisor’s group machine. Use our form for fax transmission.

Keys – Take a key form, signed by your supervisor, to the Business Services Coordinator downstairs in SFB580. You’ll need to have cash $20 (refundable deposit) for each key you want.

Forms for ECE Visitors – Please get them from the supervisor’s administrative assistant.

Email account/wireless access – Once you have a U of T library card, you can set up your UTORmail account and internet access through a single log-in point, called UTORweblogin.

The International Student Centre (ISC) is located close to our department at 33 St. George St. It provides services and information mainly to students. However, for a nominal fee of $30.00, non-students can obtain a membership for one year. As a member of the ISC, you are eligible for information on matters such as immigration and documentation. You are also entitled to participate in a range of multicultural activities offered at the centre.

English Language Classes – English as a Second Language classes are available at U of T Continuing Studies. A more informal English Conversation Program is offered by the International Student Centre.

General Information

Hart House Quadrangle

A student walks along the quadrangle at Hart House.

About Toronto


Local attractions – Attractions Ontario

Other information